Friday, July 24, 2009

The Rear Sub-Frame






A cursory look at the frame and it is obvious that someone has hacked off the rear subframe onto which the rear suspension dampers, mudguard and rear seat mount. So, step one is to fabricate one Super Alce rear subframe!

I measure the sub frame from photos in Mario Colombo's book. I send an SOS to Patrick for a photo of the damper "mouse ear" plates that are welded onto the frame. It turns out that there are threaded bosses which I could not make out from the photos and braces against the mouse ears.

I draw out the parts and go to my local machine shop where we fabricate the mounts, and thread and the bosses. Here are the finished parts before welding.






The sub-frame extensions are large steel hinges from the local hardware store! I now tack weld the bush, the brace and the "ear mounts" mounts with the damper which I have got from Stucchi mounted in the frame at the positions marked out from various scaled photos. I hope I have measured the angle and position correctly.....

Once mounted, I check the frame and the rear swinging arm for twist. I level the bottom frame plates on my work bench and then put a level at the end of the rear swinging arm. It is twisted!

With the help of a couple of hefty tiedowns and equally strong and hefty friends, I place a long rod in the swing arm and lift till both ends are level with each other and parallel to the workbench. I attach a large welding magnet to the flat slotted end of the swingarm and then place a level against it and measure at both sides of the frame under the engine to make sure the swingarm has no lateral alignment problem - luckily, there is not. The mighty SA engine is not strong enough apparently to pull the swing arm to one side...

So, at the frame and swing arm seem to be in alignment in both axes.

No comments:

Post a Comment